2018 Q1 Asia Consumer Insights report is now available with FMCG trends in a variety of categories in the region, covering China, Indonesia, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, India and Saudi Arabia.
- FMCG in Asia grew by 3.8% in Q1 2018, compared to 3.5% in Q1 2017.
- Food sector enjoyed a stronger growth of 3.6%, compared to 2.1% in 2017. Cooking categories for example noodles, sauce, frozen food are growing fast.
- Personal care is the fastest growing sector in FMCG, with 7.0% year-on-year growth in Q1. Self-appearance is still important to consumers.
- Improved living standard emphasizes home hygiene and cleanliness awareness; home care sector posted a stronger growth of 3.9%.
- Growth in Dairy sector has slowed down to 2.0% in Q1 from 3.5% in 2017. More marketing initiatives and excitement needed to drive the growth in this sector.
- Beverage sector posted a higher year-on-year growth in Q1, 1.7% as compared to -0.1%% in 2017. NPD is required to continually drive growth.
- In the Philippines, upper-income homes are lessening their purchases, which may be attributed to higher allocation to out-of-home consumption
- Yogurt drinks continue to gain importance among consumers' baskets as the top category in terms of value
*Follow links on the right side of this page to download the full report.