Asia Consumer Insights Q4 2016
The 2016 (Q4) Asia Consumer Insights is now available with FMCG trends in a variety of categories in the region, covering China, Indonesia, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, and the Philippines.
- FMCG growth slower than the previous year, 3.1% vs 3.9%, due to the economic slowdown experienced across Asia, with most South East Asian countries going through a difficult time.
- Despite that, Philippines continued on their positive outlook with a 6.6% GDP growth in Q4 2016 and closes the year at 6.8% for FY 2016.
- As essential goods experienced either flat or moderate growth (0-4%), personal care products over performs growing at 8.6% vs YA, highlighting the importance of appearances and also means of self-pamper during difficult times.
- Beverages experiencing slowest growth across Asia, category needs to be revitalized in most markets, consumer engagement would be key
- Health seems to be one of the driving trends across Asia, with Dairy category seeing strong growth in China, Taiwan, Indonesia, Philippines, and Vietnam.
- Digital continues to make pace across Asia, with Southeast Asia following suit on North Asia adoption towards buying goods online.
- Certain parts of Asia continues its progress towards modernization and urbanization, with consumers in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia continues to migrate to Modern Trade shopping, whilst Urban Vietnam consumers are driving the growth of the economy.
Download the full report to learn more