Asia Article: Ready, Steady, Shop! Vol. 2
Are you ready for JBP season?
It's that time again when retailers and manufacturers come together to kick-off their joint business plans for the coming year, and Kantar is here to ensure both parties keep the all-important shopper at the centre of the JBP process.
Why is a shopper-centric approach to joint business planning important? Because the shoppers of any given retailer in Southeast Asia are highly promiscuous, spending much more of their FMCG wallet elsewhere with other named account retailers, online, in traditional trade outlets etc.
Let’s look at an example:
Retailer A is a top-5 modern trade player in Thailand which runs a highly successful loyalty card program, rewarding millions of its shoppers every time they shop for FMCG inside its stores. However, despite these benefits, Retailer A’s shoppers are only 15% “loyal” with the $600m they spend in Retailer A’s stores dwarfed by the whopping $3.2 billion (i.e. the remaining 85% of their FMCG wallet) they spend outside its stores.
And Retailer A is not a unique case: the average loyalty of the top 5 modern trade retailers in Thailand is 13% with no one managing to capture more than 20% of their shoppers’ FMCG wallets.
On the plus side, low loyalty means huge potential gains. By fully understanding what is in the baskets of Retailer A’s shoppers when they shop outside of its stores, the retailer and its suppliers can develop more effective strategies to tap into the $3.2 billion that is currently being missed.
If you are keen to know more about how shoppers shop inside and out of store please reach out. Our experts are available to discuss how Kantar can help you today with shopper-centric joint business planning.
Get in touch
Senior Marketing Manager - Kantar, Worldpanel Division Thailand & Malaysia
- Send a messageChivanon Piyaphitakskul