Discover Vietnam’s most chosen brands
Top 3 brand owners in both Urban 4 cities and Rural Vietnam preserve their positions for the fourth year in a row.
- Unilever, Vinamilk and Masan are the Top 3 brand owners in both all Urban 4 cities* and Rural Vietnam, preserving their positions for the fourth year in a row. Unilever continues leading the ranking of the most chosen brand owners in Rural while Vinamilk leads the ranking in Urban 4 cities. Masan holds its 2nd place in Rural and 3rd place in Urban 4 cities. All three players achieve high penetration, by entering into almost 100% of Vietnamese households.
- Nestle takes the 4th position in the Urban ranking and registers its name in the Rural one for the first time. Its products were chosen more than 25 million times by 90% of Urban households and nearly 70 million times by 60% of Rural households last year.
- Climbing five places and growing by 27% in CRPs, Uniben Foods is a new comer to the Top 10 Rural ranking. Its products were purchased nearly 84 million times in Rural, mainly thanks to the outstanding performance of 3 Mien.
- Two in the Top 3 brand owners are local players. Vinamilk and Masan dominate the Food and Beverage sector while Unilever - the global giant FMCG manufacturer owns the top brands in both Health & Beauty and Home Care sector.
Health and Beauty
Global brands outperform their local counterparts in the Health & Beauty market. Almost all Top 10 brands in this sector are foreign brands with brilliant local execution.
Once again, P/S remains the number one Health & Beauty brand in both Urban 4 cities and Rural Vietnam, reaching the largest consumer base and highest consumer loyalty among oral care brands. P/S spends millions of dollars annually on marketing, from traditional channels (TVC, in-store…) to many campaigns for Vietnamese families (Protect Vietnamese Smile, Scholarship for Kids, Oral Health Day…) in order to retain and increase its shopper base.
Sunsilk – the only Health & Beauty brand among the top risers, was chosen over 50 million times by Rural shoppers in the past year, growing its CRPs by 21%. Among the Top 10 Health & Beauty brands, Sunsilk is the one to recruit the greatest number of additional new shoppers in Rural.
Jumping up 3 positions, Close-up made its first entry into the Top 10 most chosen Health & Beauty brands in Urban 4 cities, in which it is leading the CRP growth with a healthy rate of nearly 6%. Close-up’s brand owner invested in advertising through several campaigns for young Vietnamese community (movie tickets, Close-up FA Escape Event…), helping move people towards the brand.
The Top 3 most chosen Home Care brands in both Urban 4 cities and Rural are all owned by Unilever, including Sunlight, Omo and Comfort. Sunlight continues to be the most chosen Home Care brand in Urban 4 cities for the second year in a row. while Omo holds the top brand in the Rural ranking for the third consecutive year.
Global brands are challenged by their Vietnamese counterparts in Home Care sector in Rural, as six home-grown favourites make up the Top 10. Three -Thanh Ha, Net and especially Aba- out of six local brands in the Rural ranking are improving their positions with double digit growth.
Ariel made an impressive performance, rising into the Urban 4 cities Top 10 most chosen Home Care brands for the first time. This brand earned its place in the Top 10 by increasing 15% in terms of CRPs and climbing 4 ranks.
Food brands have extremely high CRPs in comparison to top brands in other sectors as they are in a frequently purchased category or consumed by the majority. Local consumers still prefer Vietnamese Food brands, as only two foreign brands are among the Top 10 in the Food ranking.
Vinamilk and Nam Ngu remain the leading Food brands in Urban 4 cities and Rural respectively. Both are the only brands purchased by more than 80% of households.
Among top recruiters adding most shoppers in 2015, 3 Mien earned its 3rd place in the Rural ranking, climbing 4 positions, thanks to attracting 1.2 million new Rural shoppers.
Chinsu is new to the Top 10 both in Urban 4 cities and Rural. In terms of CRPs, this brand grew by 12% and 36% in Urban 4 cities and Rural respectively, mainly driven by its fish and chili sauce products. By adding one more brand – Chinsu in the Rural ranking, Masan now owns 4 out of the 10 top Food brands including Nam Ngu, Kokomi, Tam Thai Tu and Chinsu.
Beverages (Including Liquid Dairy)
Growing by 12% in CRPs, Coca-Cola has been ranked number 2 in the Urban ranking. Meanwhile, nearly half a million new shoppers chose Coca-cola in Rural, moving its ranking to the Top 10 most chosen Beverage brands for the first time.
Two brands owned by Nestle, Milo and Nescafe are noticeable brands in the Urban 4 cities and Rural Top 10 respectively. Milo is leading the CRP growth among the Urban 4 cities Top 10, growing by 23% last year and gaining 4 spots in the ranking. In Rural, Nescafe achieved double digit growth in CRPs and its ranking rose from number 5 to number 3 in the Top 10.
Fami, the leader in soya milk, joined the Urban 4 cities Top 10 club, jumping up 4 positions. Fami firstly won Rural shoppers as the 2nd most chosen Beverage brand, enjoying a rapid growth of 33% in CRPs. Simultanously, this Vinasoy-own brand expanded its market penetration to Urban 4 cities by adding over 70 thousand incremental shoppers and increased by 19% in CRPs.
* Vietnam's 4 Urban main cities are Ho Chi Minh City, Ha Noi, Da Nang and Can Tho.