Konsumer Insights Asia Q1 2017
FMCG growth in Asia slightly increases in Q1 2017 versus last year
Consumer Insights Asia is our regional publication on FMCG trends. We are in weekly contact with your consumers across Asian countries. We follow trends, combining a macro view with finest data details.
Some highlights in the first quarter of 2017:
- Overall, economy in Asia is showing signs of recovery in the first quarter of 2017, with FMCG growth ticked up to 3.4% from 3.3% last year. The trend of Health & Wellness as well as Convenience continues to drive the markets in Asia.
- Indonesia, Taiwan, India and Vietnam Urban outperformed and posted stronger growth in total FMCG sector – FMCG growth rate at more than 5% in these regions.
- There is a slight increase in value growth in the food category (+0.8%) compared to the same period last year. Convenience food and snack category are growing in Q1.
- Beverage category experienced the lowest growth in Q1, indicating that consumers are rationalizing their spends on this category. More excitement needed on beverages.
- Indonesia registered a strong growth in dairy category and grew at 11.3% from last year. Health and wellness is the key element to drive growth in this category.
- Market in home care sector is stable, with some countries performed flatly in Q1. Consumers are looking for more premium and eco-friendly products.
- Personal care still posted the strongest growth in Q1 – self-pampering and indulgence remained important to consumers.
(*): Vietnam Urban includes 4 key cities: Ho Chi Minh, Ha Noi, Da Nang and Can Tho.
*Follow links on the right side of this page to download full reports.
Get in touch
DOWNLOAD REPORT ENDOWNLOAD REPORT EN