Asia Pulse - Q2 2021
Exploring on the detailed FMCG sales data from Q2 of 2021, we show how spend is increasing across all categories in the APAC region. Beverages is the star performer, with growth of 6.1%.
Total FMCG value sales rose by 4.5% year on year, an improvement on the 3.1% growth seen over the same period in 2020. This was largely driven by shoppers in the Chinese Mainland, where spend grew by 4.2%. Only the UAE and the Philippines reported declines.
Focusing in on nine individual countries, the report highlights some major trends, including:
- Chinese Mainland: Out-of-home (OOH) food and beverages are recovering well as consumers return to their regular routines, with growth of 15.1% in Q2.
- South Korea: The beverages category grew significantly due to restrictions on OOH, with the majority of growth coming from online channels.
- Indonesia: People shopped less often, but compensated for this with bigger baskets and higher spend.
- Malaysia: For the first time ever, shoppers bought more food than non-food online in Q2 of 2021, as COVID-19 cases soared.
- Vietnam: Emerging channels including online and mini-markets have gained share.
We value your feedback, if you have any builds or suggestion on how we can make the #ASIAPulse report more relevant and actionable to your business, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Note: We have officially changed the name of this report to ASIA Pulse since early this year. Previously known as Consumer Insights Asia, the special quarterly report from the Worldpanel division of Kantar.