Regional Differences In The Season of Giving
The lunar new year is the most important and popular traditional festival among Vietnamese people. This unique festive season plays as a strong momentum to boost up a spectacular spending spree across the country. With the contribution of one-third of total FMCG value in Tet 2018, “gift-giving” remains its pivotal role as a common traditional custom for years and also a key driver of Tet performance. In order to maximize the business growth, understanding the differences in gift-giving by region is crucial.
Within this report, we will explore some major findings:
- With a long holiday, many activities will take place in the upcoming Tet, opening growth opportunities for manufacturers, retailers and service providers.
- Northerners seem to value gifting culture more than others.
- Besides family members, Hanoians also prefer giving gifts to their superiors, while in Ho Chi Minh city, neighbors are more likely to receive Tet gifts.
- The most popular gift types and the key criteria to choose gifts between Urban and Rural areas.
- Hyper/supermarkets and street shops are key shopping places for gift shoppers in Urban whereas wet market plays a more important role in Rural toward the South.
*Follow links on the right side of this page to download full reports in both English and Vietnamese.