Asia Consumer Insights Q1 2017
The 2017 Q1 Asia Consumer Insights is now available with FMCG trends in a variety of categories in the region, covering China, Indonesia, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, India and Saudi Arabia.
- Overall, economy in Asia is showing signs of recovery in the first quarter of 2017, with FMCG growth ticked up to 3.4% from 3.3% last year. The trend of Health & Wellness as well as Convenience continues to drive the markets in Asia.
- Indonesia, Taiwan, India and Vietnam Urban outperformed and posted stronger growth in total FMCG sector – FMCG growth rate at more than 5% in these regions.
- There is a slight increase in value growth in the food category (+0.8%) compared to the same period last year. Convenience food and snack category are growing in Q1.
- Beverage category experienced the lowest growth in Q1, indicating that consumers are rationalizing their spends on this category. More excitement needed on beverages.
- In the Philippines, instant coffee powder drives down average price in beverages as local players grow.
- Indonesia registered a strong growth in dairy category and grew at 11.3% from last year. Health and wellness is the key element to drive growth in this category. Dairy is also growing in the Philippines on account of more trips and bigger basket size - driven by growing-up and infant milk.
- Market in home care sector is stable, with some countries performed flatly in Q1. Consumers are looking for more premium and eco-friendly products.
- Personal care still posted the strongest growth in Q1 – self-pampering and indulgence remained important to consumers.
Download the full report to learn more
Get in touch
New Business Development Head
- Send a messageDes Deocareza
DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORTDOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT