Asia Consumer Insights Q1 2019
Growth opportunity for FMCG in Lunar New Year in China and Vietnam
This year Kantar is proud to introduce the new look of our Consumer Insights Asia, a quarterly report conducted by Worldpanel Division that provides at-a-glance key FMCG performance indicators across the region and the spotlight of the quarter. Through this spotlight, we reveal consumer insights, trends, and opportunities that arise within the region.
In the Quarter 1 2019 edition, the spotlight is on China and Vietnam, with the growth opportunities in FMCG presented by the Lunar New Year occasion.
Key highlights from this issue:
- Q1 2019 Asia FMCG overview:
- FMCG in Asia saw an overall positive growth by 4.1% in Q1 2019, slightly slower compared to Q1 2018.
- China Mainland continues to lead the growth for Northeast Asia at 5% while the Philippines leads the growth for Southeast Asia at a stellar 12%.
- The Spotlight of the Quarter:
- FMCG spending during the Lunar New Year season takes up 18% and 14% value sales of the full year performance in China Mainland and Vietnam respectively.
- From total value sales during the Lunar New Year occasion, a significant proportion is gifting. However, top categories for gifting differ for these two markets.
- Modern trade channels such as hypermarkets and supermarkets are the preferred shopping places for consumers during Lunar New Year, with e-commerce also emerging as the fastest growing channel for this occasion.
- Consumers have new aspirations in celebrating Lunar New Year in recent years thanks to the increase in disposable income.
- We reveal four recommendations for brands and retailers to better capture the Lunar New Year spending spree.
*For more in-depth insight and analysis, download the white paper on the right side of this page and do not hesitate to get in touch with Worldpanel Division.
Get in touch
Get in touch
New Business Development Head
- Send a messageDes Deocareza
DOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORTDOWNLOAD THE FULL REPORT